Man dies in motorway crash with van driver arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving

A van driver has been arrested after he collided with a motorcyclist on the M62 motorway resulting in the latter’s death.

The man, 36, was pronounced dead at the scene early this morning following the serious crash.

The West Yorkshire Police were called to the scene at 7.35am today, after receiving reports of a crash between a motorcycle and a van, along with other emergency services.

Police confirmed that they arrested the van driver, 31, on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

The police released the following statement: “Emergency services attended and found the motorcyclist, a 36-year-old man, had suffered serious injuries. He sadly passed away at the scene.

“The driver of the van, a 31-year-old man, was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving. He remains in custody at this time. The collision involved a black Royal Enfield Himalayan motorbike and a white Mercedes Sprinter van.”

The force’s Major Collision Enquiry Team is appealing for witnesses to the accident to contact them on 101 using the reference 413 of 16 July.

The surviving driver is currently in custody for questioning over the incident, but has not been formally charged for his role, if any, in the motorcyclist’s death.

The police have not released any more details about the accident at this time.

The collision caused road closures to remain in place into the afternoon, likely leading to delays for other road users.

In a tweet posted earlier, North West Motorway Police said: “West Yorkshire are dealing with an incident at junction 22 of M62 eastbound as a result the exit slip at J22 is closed for the time being.”

The M62 was closed for nearly one hour last week near Huddersfield after a serious crash between a biker riding a Harley Davidson and a car.

An air ambulance was called to the scene but the motorcyclist was pronounced dead at the scene.

This incident was preceded by a horrific crash on the same motorway in June, when a biker was rushed to the hospital with severe injuries.